Question:
My monitor flickers then goes black for a few seconds every now and then, anyone know what the problem is??
bruvvamoff
2006-09-25 12:10:54 UTC
Its a Dell P1130 21" tube monitor- I thought maybe its because its a large monitor on a standard Dell Dimension 1100 PC?
Sixteen answers:
jimmyjames
2006-09-25 12:26:29 UTC
Could be any one of a number of causes, none of them good. The likeliest candidates that can be easist resolved are:

1) Loose/faulty data cable between monitor and PC. If the data cable gets kinked (especially if pushed against a wall) the data flow can become interrupted.

2) Loose/faulty power cable (unlikely)

3) Graphics card loose/faulty

4) In the event of having on-board graphics, faulty motherboard.

5) Excess heat/dust inside the case. This CANNOT be overstated. Try turning of your PC, remove the sides and BLOW any dust off. A desk fan is a good way to do this if you think your computer is dusty or overheating. Hope it isn't too sever and you manage to resolve your problem without having to replace anything. Large CRT monitors are notorious for generating excess heat, make sure it is well ventilated, even to the extent of directing a fan over the back. Have you considered a TFT monitor? Reasonable 19" TFT's can cost as little as £150 and run a lot cooler and give you loads more space.
pknutson_sws
2006-09-25 12:13:12 UTC
Mine does that too, I don't know why. I don't think it has anything to do with the computer because I have used my monitor on different computers and it still does it.

I'm thinking that it's about to die.
IT Pro
2006-09-25 12:12:59 UTC
It may be video card. but it also may be the monitor itself that is dying. Can you try it on a different computer?
?
2016-10-01 12:42:47 UTC
if it incredibly is regularly a pc you're conversing approximately you would be waiting to evaluate if the potential cable is in wisely, it perchance out of the potential purely a splash and would desire to be making it pass on and rancid or it would desire to be loosely plugged into the song itself or the purely suitable elementary motive is that the song's twine hooked as much as the pc isn't in wisely on between the main aspects, whether that's none of those touch Microsoft by making use of way of digital mail or an area enterprise (eg. pc international). properly sturdy fortune
casper
2006-09-25 12:37:20 UTC
problem with video card,or moniter,replace1 before the other
Baby Dee
2006-09-25 12:22:53 UTC
I know tihs sounds really silly but are you sure there are no loose connections. It wont be because of the Monitor on a different PC Unit. Alternativly it could be your Video card. :)

good luck
2006-09-25 12:17:45 UTC
Sounds like it's on it's way out! This is exactly what my Gateway monitor was doing for six month (it was several years old) and then one day the screen stayed black and started smoking making a nasty electrical smell! Recommend you switch it off when ever you walk away from it for to long as i would not want to have not been there when my screen went - i had to act fast to unplug and make safe. Take care.
?
2006-09-25 12:15:21 UTC
this is common for user ,actually u need to sure tht no magnetic items were near to ur monitor like speakers ,floppy etc ,if u have still some problem make sure urself tht ur monitor life is low and also do one more thing just replace ur monitor if it is in warranty period .
2006-09-25 12:13:15 UTC
could be your monitor lol take it back and they will check it...could be your visual settings, perhaps the monitor cant handle it...good luck...video card is another solution
zboy417
2006-09-25 12:12:11 UTC
Your video card is probably going out or is to old. Old video cards can't process very fast so they go blank.
2006-09-25 12:14:07 UTC
If it isn't the video card, it could be either the power cord of the monitor having an intermittent (replace it) or worse, it could be a starting problem with the monitor high voltage power supply.

I would try another video card (or the monitor on another computer) first.
2006-09-25 12:17:57 UTC
If you already checked all the cable connectors and the power cord then it could be the video card or a faulty monitor.

Use a surge protector and be sure it is a good quality model.
2006-09-25 12:19:21 UTC
if it any of the above than it could be the pins inside of the blug. check the pins and make sure that non are bent.

that happend to me before and it was because one of the pins were bent down.
tonywuzere
2006-09-25 12:18:35 UTC
just had the same problem.. mine was solved by replacing the fan which was causing the graphics card to overheat. not had the problem since changing it.
:: [ DARK GHOST ] ::
2006-09-25 12:13:53 UTC
Bill Gates is the problem
ashy40
2006-09-25 12:17:09 UTC
yes, im afraid your eyes sights going!!!